Hearing Loss & Diabetes
Comprehensive Care for Your Hearing Needs
Many people are surprised to see the words hearing loss and diabetes together, but according to a recent study funded by the National Institutes of Health, hearing loss is about twice as common in adults with diabetes than in those without. Our experts provide education on the link between hearing loss and diabetes in North Phoenix, AZ, below.
Are Diabetes & Hearing Loss Related?
Diabetes is a disease that affects many areas of your body, including the blood vessels in your ears. When the blood vessels in your ears become damaged, they can't receive the blood supply they need to function properly. This results in damaged hearing.
Diabetes can also cause weakness and numbness in your legs which, when coupled with hearing loss, can put you at risk for developing a balance disorder. If you have diabetes and are experiencing symptoms of hearing loss, contact us today for a consultation.
How to Stay on Top of Hearing Loss
Hearing loss is a common issue faced by numerous people, and your chance of developing hearing loss increases with age. That doesn’t mean there’s nothing you can do about it, however. Even if you have a disease like diabetes, that increases your risk of developing hearing loss, there are things you can do to preserve your hearing, including:
- Control Blood Sugar – Maintain control of your blood sugar to help minimize damage to blood vessels and keep your hearing intact longer.
- No Smoking – Smoking tightens your blood vessels, including the ones in your ears, and increases your risk for developing hearing loss. When coupled with diabetes, your risk increases substantially. Avoid smoking, especially when you have diabetes, to help maintain your hearing.
- Manage Loud Noise Exposure – It’s always a good idea to protect your exposure to loud noise, but when you have diabetes, it becomes crucial. Use earplugs or other hearing protection when in a loud environment to help preserve your hearing.
Watch the Video Below to Learn More About Hearing Loss & Diabetes
Read the Report Below From Our Experts: Diabetes And Dementia: The Hearing Loss X FactorReport (PDF)
Learn More About Hearing Loss & Diabetes in North Phoenix, AZ
To experience our award-winning hearing care, schedule your Hearing Consultation today by calling (602) 466-1199. You may also click here for our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- We Will Carefully Listen To Your Concerns & Goals
- Thorough Explanation Of Our Process
- Comprehensive Hearing Evaluation
- Custom Treatment Plan
- Receive A Free Copy Of Dr. Day’s Book, Reengage With Life & Family
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our advanced treatments and technology, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us!